Family Village

Go Back   Family Village > Village Market Place > Home Business Advertising, Thrifty things and Employment > Business Feedback Cloth Diaper & Sling reviews

Business Feedback Cloth Diaper & Sling reviews you may put feedback on local business, and products in this location.

Old 08-12-2010, 04:58 AM
So many books, so little time!

zaneta just starting to get noticed
Default Shoppers drug mart

They have come out with a new master card credit/optimum points combined card. NB - you will have to use the credit card every time to get any points. If you switch, your optimum only card is no longer viable. I didn't think this was a good idea, so I declined to sign up for master card / optimum. Shoppers now limits the amount of points in which you can redeem at any given purchase. You still get points, they just allow you to use less of them per purchase.

Zehrs has the same deal. If you sign up for their master card / points card you also have to use a credit card to acquire points. You can shop at any store and get points as well, plus you get free item, here and there. This one is better. But do we really need another credit card?

Janet

Last edited by zaneta; 08-12-2010 at 05:00 AM. Reason: Correction
Old 08-12-2010, 07:49 AM
A little Crunchy

busymama is on a distinguished road

No !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We definitely don't need another credit card!

No credit cards in this house --- we stopped many years ago, and it was the best thing we ever did.

There is always a way around using it.

"Cash is king!", as Dave Ramsey says.

BTW, lately every time I go to Shoppers or to a Shell gas station, someone inevitable comes up to me with a clip board, trying to get me to get a card.. I hate it!
Old 08-12-2010, 08:32 AM
Heck to the Yeah!

borntobloom just starting to get noticed

This really annoys me and steels me not to shop at either store if I can help it. (Shoppers is definitely easier to avoid than RCSS, but....) In the US every grocery store around offered a points card - FREE - and it saved me a ton of money. FOR FREE. Most of my items were at least fifty cents cheaper for swiping my card, and often there were deals like 5/$5 for some items.

Just another push for me to really restructure my shopping habits. Might be less convenient, but this is ridiculous.

Old 08-12-2010, 09:28 AM
The chef is thwarted and dying of boredom.

storybookmum just starting to get noticed

That is so manipulative and conniving....AGH!

I did away with the Zehr's card ages ago. I have an Optimum card but won't do the Mastercard.

Thanks for pointing out the nice little catch, Janet. I got another invitation in the mail yesterday to get the mastercard with Shoppers and threw it away. Infuriating.

RETIRED mother of Finn (25) and Meredith (22, at University of Windsor working on a Music in Education/Education concurrent Degree). Former homeschooler. Executive Director of Riverfront Theatre Company.
Old 08-12-2010, 01:17 PM
A little Crunchy

busymama is on a distinguished road

I, too, am thinking about restructuring my shopping.

Any suggestions on where to state-side shop? What were the best places? Best points cards?

I used to do this all the time, and I think I need to start going again. It's just so darn expensive here!
Old 08-12-2010, 04:13 PM
So many books, so little time!

zaneta just starting to get noticed
Default Points cards

Zehrs reels us in, selling their points credit card by giving free items, coupons $20 that you have to spend in their store, and other free items. We all know that when you get 'free' items, you end up picking up something you don't need. Something about master card and zehrs, they must get sign up fees- or a percentage of for recruiting volume of customers. I'm told there are no card fees or credit approvals. I made the mistake of signing up for one the one time I was there. Never really shop there and don't intend to use the card. I'm told I getting a $20 coupon but not sure if I have to use card to redeem or card just to get points and cash back. I think I got a flyer, i'll check it. So I'm told they give free stuff, people go there just for that. Really, zehrs is not for me.
Sobeys gives ma a points card and I accumulate points, take off $5 or 10 here and there. Food Basics charges for bags .05, I bring my own reusable. Remark is fresh produce fruits, veggies. The local farmers around Essex have so much to offer and good prices,likewise with in town stands, or the Saturday market 8-12 pm. These grocery enuss are better for me. No fuss, no muss

Janet
Old 08-12-2010, 11:45 PM
Far away, much missed...

emmsmama just starting to get noticed

I won't get a Shoppers MC, but I love using my PC MC. I'm very good about always paying off the balance when it comes due. There have been maybe two times in the 10 or so years that I've had it that I've paid interest, and that was because I forgot to pay the bill until the day after it was due. The first time I called them and they took off the interest, the second time I just paid the interest because I figured they had already let me by once so I didn't bother calling them.

Anyway, I almost always charge gas, groceries, everything I can when I buy it and then at the end of the month I pay the card off in full and I end up with $20 or more of free groceries every month or two. It's money I would have spent anyway so I might as well get something back in return. I've made waaaaay more money from PC MC then they have ever made from me. Over the course of owning my card I've probably redeemed at least $3000 in free groceries and I've paid them approx. $60 in interest.

The key is that you HAVE to be disciplined enough to only charge what you know you can pay off when the bill comes due or of course the "free groceries" you earn won't be so free anymore.